There are many attitudes towards the meaning & fashion behind beard growth-be it biologically, ritually, culturally, or traditionally. Let's be clear, I am no expert on either nor am I here to convince you one way or the other. You ask the question, you get perspective and the narrative you choose is all yours but on your mission to elevate, whether you are taming your mane or your follicles are letting freedom ring having a rich well-conditioned-beard that speaks is the telling art form in and of itself. How you grow a beard is ultimately up to you but keeping it healthy, if that is your goal requires discipline, grooming and care.
Like anything worth having in life, growing a beard is a labor of love. Approach it with dedication and commitment and ultimately vibrant healthy skin and facial hair will be worth the effort. Below is a guide, in simple terms, aimed at encouraging you along your journey. Sideburns to 5 o'clock and goatee to stubble, let loose and learn to look yourself in the mirror knowing you are give it the best that you've got! But consider this:
There is no hard and fast rule to growing the perfect beard. Just be realistic about your expectations and stay consistent. Treat growing this sense of pride and protection, wisdom or strength and status like a journey. Several factors have an impact on this journey such as the things we eat as well as the products we use along the way. Embarking upon the journey embrace a few of the perspectives below and you will get there!
1. Your ability to grow facial hair in and of itself is largely based on genetics. Genes play the most important role in how your beard growth journey progresses. Your genes decide the color, strength, and natural style of your beard. Know thyself, as they say. There are certainly things that can help improve follicle growth on the face, but we must consider other evidence that suggest that much of what determines the speed and thickness of beard growth is based on genetics and testosterone. Additional factors that may have an impact in your ability to grow your beard effectively include age, exercise, vices, and stressors.
All things considered, as much as you want it to, your dream beard will not grow overnight. Remember, true gratification is process. It can take time but there is no better time to start tending to it than now. Most would say it is important to set milestones and goals. I would venture to say don't rush yourself. Just commit to caring for it. Most people lose motivation and commitment because they either they don't have milestones or their milestones are unrealistic. Consider this care, something you deserve. Healing, detoxing, and maturing into who you are meant to be.
2. Drink water. Alkaline preferably but water has the ability to flush out the toxins from our organs. It is said to help mitigate skin problems like eczema, wrinkles, and psoriasis. It carries the nutrients in the cells, which can enable the organs to function at its optimum levels. Water can help reduce acne, marks, and pimples, helping us to stay hydrated from the inside out and is something we already know to have a profound impact on our hair, skin, and nails.
3. Note foods that tend to have a positive impact on improving the opportunity for growth such as sweet potatoes which are full of beta-carotene, oysters which are rich in zinc or cinnamon, which help strengthen oxygen flow, is easy to incorporate in your diet and are great catalyst for growth.
3. Keep your face clean. Listen, what we do know statistically about hair follicles is that they collect and cash in on dirt. So find a soap that is gentle enough on your skin that you are cleansing without stripping away all of the vitamins and nutrients. Millenheirs carries several clay and herbal infused body bars to help you exfoliate, nourish, and boost the skin's appearance. In essence you also want to boost your chances for healthy growth. If you are starting without much facial hair, this may be the best option for you vs. going so far as a shampoo and conditioner.
4. Speaking of shampoos and conditioners, remember we suggested what you put on your body is just as important as what you put in your body. That said, consider using products that are toxic free. Not only are our shampoo and conditioner natural with consciously sourced ingredients but that are beard shampoo is notably void of chemicals such as parabens, SLS, SLES, colorants, synthetic fragrances, and even palm oil.
5. A common misconception is that you only need grooming and care products when your beard reaches a certain size. Not necessarily true! You can start as soon as the stubble breaks through. Consider choosing a good Beard Balm, Beard Oil, Beard Butter, and/or Beard softener and conditioner. If not every day, 2 to 3 times per week, could help you grow a softer and better beard. Invest in some quality beard growth products below as quintessential elements to your beard game.
Beard Oil – Beard oil helps you keep your skin and beard hair hydrated, soft, shiny, and smooth. Typically, one composed of carrier oils and essential oils. Often enough the face is a delicate area and you may want to treat it as such. Too much essential oil, not diluting the essential oils, or using fragrances with harsh alcohol can increase chances of breakouts and skin irritation.
Start with 3-5 drops of hair oil. As it grows, increase the amount to 4-6 drops in the palm of your hand and distributing the oil throughout your facial hair once it is clean. As it grows, adjust the amount accordingly. If you are looking for a simply, subtle, light but masculine scent try our Royalty or Bourbonwood Beard Oil for starters and perhaps work your way towards trying others.
Beard Balm – which is a thicker formulation that helps you keep the stray hairs in your beard under control and leave you with a good looking, help prevent flaking, dandruff and dryness as well. Millenheirs grooming products intentionally chooses oils such jojoba oil, argon oil, grape seed oil, coconut oil, hempseed oil. We choose to use unrefined butters that contain added vitamins and nutrients as well as using extracts that with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging properties. Apply by starting with a small amount and adding more as required. The general idea with beard oil and beard balm is that less is more.
Beard Butter which would be similar to a combination of the two is also sold to help condition and moisturize your mane.
Beard Grooming Kit – Beard grooming kits may include the above-mentioned products and tools such as good trimmer, a quality razor or shavette, beard combs or beard brushes. Just as a soldier should not embark upon the battlefield without his weapon, neither should a beard grower be without a good grooming kit.
Beard wash and Conditioner – If you are going to have a beard, you can't convince me that a clean and fresh beard is not the best. It is just as important to use the right products to clean it. It is recommended to wash your beard daily at least once. However, remember hair and skin attract dirt. If you sweat, have eaten, have been exposed to the elements or otherwise taking the opportunity to maintain it or prevent build up helps to keep your beard hair luscious and soft. It also ensures that your skin remains clean, preventing any dandruff buildup in your beard.
Even having a nice light aftershave such as the Frankincense & Myrrh Aftershave made with witch hazel is a great addition! Witch hazel helps to relieve inflammation and reduce skin irritation as well helping with acne so not only do you get those benefits but also the added frankincense & myrrh essential oils and vitamin E to contribute to the potential of an awesome beard.
Using natural oils for your beard strengthens the roots, and conditions the skin beneath your beard, creating a strong foundation for growth because if and when it becomes dry it becomes brittle and sheds. It tends to itch and for some creates a patchy beard. Using the right oils and the right amount can, especially when you are feeding and nourishing your skin over time, will help pave the way for a thicker or longer beard. Choosing products that contain hydrating and protective properties, that soothe irritated skin, will ultimately then improve the appearance.
6. Do not compare. This is not a competition or should I say, you are your own competition. "Energy flows where attention goes." The more we learn to focus attention, the more we find truth in manifestation so stay in your lane. It has nothing to do with anyone else being able to grow theirs longer or quicker or thicker. Focus on understanding how your own hair grows and what works for it vs what may damage it or hinder its growth. Not every product is right for your and not every product is right for your beard. Treat it accordingly.
7. No matter what others tell you, man or woman, there is no magic potion! Growing a beard naturally, can be as simple as mind over matter or as conscious a decision as minding what matters. Even growing through warm summer months comes with it's share of benefits.
MillenHeirs has a variety of options to aid you on your journey. We seek to use ingredients that align with growth and elevation. You want to grow the perfect beard? Open your mind to consciously healthier alternatives to help elevate your game!